For the environment
For years OrtoRomi has been carrying out a transparent and traceable production, in full respect of the Planet and its protection. It is committed daily to a sustainable policy, supporting the SDGs – 17 Goals for the Sustainable Development of the Planet described by the UN.
Energy saving of water resources, use of the agricultural method of “integrated pest management” which excludes the use of pesticides harmful to the environment, and much more: each step aims to ensure sustainable production, to give a better future to new generations and do their part to achieve the 2030 Agenda Goals.
Our farms are scattered throughout the Italian country, whose particular conformation allows us to grow certain types of vegetables throughout the year.
We grow our salads on over 800 hectares, in the open field as in the case of adult salads (red radicchio, escarole etc.) or in greenhouses in the case of baby leaf salads, such as rocket, valerianella or lettuce.
We adopt important cultural innovations, sustainable for the environment:
- We practice sustainable agriculture techniques such as integrated pest management and green manure while respecting the environment. Integrated pest management is a cultivation technique for which all agronomic interventions, before being made, must be weighted according to specific technical evaluations. For example, fertilization is not carried out as usual and according to pre-established doses, but is evaluated considering the contributions of the previous crop, plant removals, climatic trends, etc. To protect the salads, treatments of natural origin are also allowed to strengthen their defenses, with the use of products such as propolis and horsetail, while for fertilization we use organic fertilizer such as pellets and / or compost. The daily evaluation of agronomic technicians is the first fundamental element of integrated pest management.
- We use green manure which, on the other hand, is an agronomic practice carried out in a greenhouse, which allows the soil to rest and rebalance the organic substances present for a better yield of the salads. Like? Between one crop and the next, specific crops are sown capable of returning nitrogen to the soil through the roots to improve soil fertility. Once the cultivation cycle of these vegetables is completed, just before proceeding with the cultivation of salads, the former are fully or partially buried. Once buried, the vegetables will begin to decompose slowly, nourishing the soil and also improving its structure.
- We collect rainwater in collection tanks which, once properly filtered, will be used to irrigate greenhouse crops. The water will then be distributed at room temperature where and in the required quantities, without wasting water.
- We use the ancient fire weeding technique as a natural method for the control of weeds in order to reduce the use of chemicals. This particular sanitation allows us to have a low environmental impact; the dedicated tractor is powered by LPG with a clean gas combustion.
- We have innovative steam machines that allow us to sterilize the soil to eliminate weeds, molds and rot.
- We use shade cloths that allow us to make the most of the light, while at the same time guaranteeing suitable conditions for cultivation.
- In the greenhouses of our farms we use renewable energy sources (photovoltaic systems) to power the cold rooms and electric irrigation pumps.
- In winter, we heat the soil where baby leaves are grown inside the greenhouses through special underground pipes fed by a woodchip and pellet system, sustainable for the environment because the percentage of CO2 emitted into the environment does not increase.
for the consumer
The Cooperative has achieved various voluntary certifications relating to the production sites of Borgoricco (PD) and Bellizzi (SA) and raw materials, ensuring traceability throughout the product chain, integrated production and a pesticide residue of less than 30%.
The commitment to product safety and quality is evidenced by numerous analytical checks carried out by the internal laboratory and by accredited external laboratories that guarantee at least 5,300 microbiological and chemical analyzes per year on all items and crops marketed by the Cooperative.
for the social responsability
We have always protected and guaranteed our collaborators, in the production plants and in our farms, aware that thanks to their commitment and professionalism we have been offering fresh, safe and quality products every day for over 25 years. To protect them, we have voluntarily adopted the GLOBALG.A.P. Certification system for years. GRAP, about the health and safety of workers for responsible business management.
We look to the future and focus on the new generations with the educational project “OrtoRomi per la Scuola”, an initiative designed to raise awareness among young students on the issues of healthy eating, the conscious consumption of fruit and vegetables and finally sustainability, understood in environmental, economic and social terms, in line with the European Agenda 2020-2030.